Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How can you clean up the sound from changing pitch in Audacity?

When I record with my instrument, sometimes i wish to raise it an octave, or lower an octave. So if I change pitch using audacity, the audio get lots of hiss and noises. I know there is a noise removal feature, but how do you use that to remove the noise that was created from changing the pitch?How can you clean up the sound from changing pitch in Audacity?
As a musician I can identify with your problem.

Also as a musician if I don't get it right the first time I do it again in the key I want. Frustrating I know but it's the only way to get better.

If you want to give it a go here's how.

Load your sound file.

Highlight a small section of just noise.

Go to "effect/noise removal"

Click "get noise profile" (Pop-up disappears.)

Go to "effect/noise removal" again and click "remove noise"

You might need to ctrl+z a few times to get the best result but this is no guarantee of getting a good result.

Do what the pro's do. Record it again. It's the only way.

From an audio engineer's point of view the less messing around with effects etc the better.

How can you clean up the sound from changing pitch in Audacity?
you can't pitch shift more then a few steps on any thing, be it sampler, hardware or software. For example I have used a $6000 mainframe effects processor anything over 4 steps you get artifacts. An octave is right out. You'll note that on a twelve string guitar the strings are different thicknesses, it's a question of physics.
  • chin blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment