Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How do I edit a recording of me singing to make it sound professional with Audacity?

So I just recorded a song with me singing to a original song. So I listened to it and it sounded "okay" but I want to edit my voice to make it sound a little more professional.



How can I do this with Audacity?How do I edit a recording of me singing to make it sound professional with Audacity?
There is good, better and best.



With a lot of the freeware (free software), your limited to what you can do as far as effects, levels, add-ons and modules. It will depend on how much you want to spend.



One way to improve the sound without spending a whole lot would be at the Microphone level. Depending on the Mic you have, you may want to look into a pop filter. A pop filter looks like someone put a pantyhose on a small hoop. It's on a gooseneck and goes between you and the Microphone. You could try to make one yourself or pick one up for about 10 to 15 dollars.



Another way to improve your sound is to make sure the cables your using are shielded so your recording comes back clean (no electronic humming noise).



After all that, you'll want to look into getting a multi-track recording software, there are several good ones out there and of course pricing at a wide range as well. In order to suggest what type of software, I'll need to know what type of computer your using and what type of OS you have.
First and foremost, you have got to click that effects tab! Find the "amplifier" plugin and click that. That alone will get your voice at a nice, modern, sound level.



Audacity has the "freeverb/gverb" plugin which, applied in a small amount, makes your voice have a bit more spacial depth to it.



One really cool thing you can do is record yourself singing an octave lower than your previous recording and combine that with the first, which can sound REALLY cool (it works for me!).



You can also open the "equalization" plugin and turn the highs and lows down, just leaving the mids, to get that "am radio/megaphone" sound



hope that helps!How do I edit a recording of me singing to make it sound professional with Audacity?
Garage BandHow do I edit a recording of me singing to make it sound professional with Audacity?
with your media player

No comments:

Post a Comment