Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How do I improve sound quality with Audacity?

I have some sound files from video cameras that don't record sound well (such as cell phone cameras.) What effects should I run and what settings should I run them on. I would like to improve voice, drums, and guitar. The bass I already know how to improve. Sometimes the sound is so loud that it is distorted on the recording also. Is there any way to fix this with Audacity?How do I improve sound quality with Audacity?
Not really. You can process things to clean up line noise, pops and clicks, or even phasing issues, but if the overall quality of a recording is bad there's only so much you can do to polish it. The old mixing engineer saying is:



Garbage in, garbage out.



If you want better sound you really need a better recording, especially if you've got clipping distortion in this one (when things get too loud). Clipping distortion is something you can't fix.How do I improve sound quality with Audacity?
Not any practical way to fix it. Bad audio is unfortunately always bad audio. Audacity has relatively few tools, I'm not saying you can't clean it up a bit with things like Normalize, and remove noise, but it's never going to sound good.
  • gold eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment